Monday, October 1, 2018

Mothering

Life’s Lovely Circle. 

I drove a total of 3,464 miles just to hold my youngest grandson for the very first time. His eye sight not fully developed, he intently studied my face and his breathing quieted. His skin - so delicate, his coos and whimpers - music to my ears. I noticed every nuance, sigh, and quiver while his mother quietly nursed him in her arms. He knows her. Her silhouette, her voice, her scent. I was witnessing the beginning of their lifelong journey as mother and child. My heart both thrilled and ached for her; motherhood will require all that she has to give and then some. 

All too soon it was time for me to get back in my car to make the long journey home. I took one last long look at them - trying to press every detail into the pages of my mind. I kissed the top of his bald little head and quietly tip-toed out of the room.

A few days and many miles later I stopped by to visit my dear friend Agnes. I found her sitting in her favorite chair, nearly naked, except for her disposable underpants and a child size undershirt. The sight of her translucent skin loosely draped over her 90 year old frame was nearly more than I could bear. She strained to see my face through hazy lenses and her breathing slowed to a peaceful rhythm. Like a helpless infant, I wrapped her in a fleece robe and held her close. We talked, and laughed, and prayed together.  A soul deep contentment washed over me as my mothering instincts re-emerged. I slipped off my shoes and yielded to what is, and what was, and what eventually will be. After a while, she fell asleep, so I tucked some pillows all around her, kissed her on the top of her balding little head and tip-toed out of the room. 

Tiny babies and frail older ladies...their lives are much the same.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa, not sure why but it shows that your comment was removed by me...not so. Thanks for your encouragement.

      Delete